Specific Fitting Tips:
- Try on shoes later in the day, as feet can swell or may spread after being on them for a period of time.
- Measure your feet when standing with all your weight placed on the foot being measured. Then add ½ size to what you measure.
- Make sure there is at least a thumbs width between your longest toe and the end of the shoe.
- You should not feel the shoe touching or rubbing against the ends or tops of any toes.
- For the proper width, your feet should not extend over the soles of the shoes when standing, especially in the front half of the shoes.
- Be certain the heel doesn’t slip when you walk or run.
- Shoes should be comfortable immediately when you try them and don’t need to be “broken in”.
General Helpful Tips:
- Avoid tight, slip-on shoes that have no give or support when standing or walking a lot.
- Find shoes with soles that won’t wear down too fast.
- Get the proper shoe for a particular sport & get the proper running shoes for your particular foot structure. * A good running shoe store can help, by looking at your feet & watching you walk or run.
- Note: More expensive shoes do not always mean they will fit better, be more comfortable or last longer! * On the other hand, stay away from cheap or off-brand shoes, which can wear down quicker and cause foot problems.
- Look for shoes with a lot of cushion and support.
There is nothing better for your feet than comfortable, proper fitting shoes! Unfortunately, finding these shoes can be a big problem if you have a weak foot structure, swollen feet or foot deformities such as bunions and hammertoes. Fortunately, Dr. Silver and his staff at the Westwood Foot Clinic in Golden Valley, MN can help!
We have a full line of extra wide, double depth and stretchy shoes available through our clinic. We fit prescription and non-prescription foot orthotics for those with neuroma pain, foot fatigue, heel (plantar fasciitis), arch or ankle pain.
We correct painful corns, calluses, deformed or ingrown toenails as well bunions and hammer toes. With our care, you can fit into shoes more comfortably again and be able to stand, walk, run and enjoy your favorite activities without pain! Click here or call (763) 231-2341 now to schedule your appointment at the Westwood Foot Clinic in Golden Valley, MN.