Most parents want their child to have fashionable, quality footwear but the choice of shoes sometimes causes more harm than good for your child’s feet. Research has shown that more than 29% of kids are wearing footwear that is “unsuitable.” It revealed that young girls are under the most pressure to wear expensive “fashionable” shoes like high heels, ballet pumps and flip-flops with poor support, which can harm young feet. In addition, 55% of children in one study suffered injuries because of poor shoe fit and lack of proper support.
Ill-fitting shoes can cause problems from minor blisters to infection and foot deformities. Children’s feet will be much more vulnerable to damage than adults. Fortunately, quality, healthy footwear doesn’t have to be a challenge to find or an expensive undertaking.
Look for lightweight, cushioned shoes with breathable material and plenty of room. Avoid hand-me-down shoes that are already worn down. On average, your growing child’s shoes will need to be replaced every 3-6 months. Watch for signs of excessive shoe wear, any areas of irritation on the feet and signs of pain such as limping. Also, listen to children’s complaints such as sore, aching or tired feet.
Dr. Thomas Silver, at the Westwood Foot Clinic in Golden Valley is an expert in pediatric foot care. He can provide guidance, clear treatment solutions and answers to questions regarding any foot problem your child may have. Foot pain is not normal, especially for children, and anytime your child complains of foot pain it is essential that they are seen as soon as possible by Dr. Silver.
You can trust Dr. Silver and the staff at the Westwood Foot Clinic to take care of your child’s feet! They are experienced with children of all ages…including some of the most frightened and anxious. Dr. Silver is a member of Children’s Hospital Physician Network and is the foot specialist that many local pediatricians trust to take care of their patient’s foot problems.
For an appointment, click here or call (763) 231-2341 now. Same day appointments often available.
Specific Fitting Tips:
- Try on shoes later in the day, as feet can swell or may spread after being on them for a period of time.
- Measure your feet when standing with all your weight placed on the foot being measured. Then add ½ size to what you measure.
- Make sure there is at least a thumbs width between your longest toe and the end of the shoe.
- You should not feel the shoe touching or rubbing against the ends or tops of any toes.
- For the proper width, your feet should not extend over the soles of the shoes when standing, especially in the front half of the shoes.
- Be certain the heel doesn’t slip when you walk or run.
- Shoes should be comfortable immediately when you try them and don’t need to be “broken in”.
General Helpful Tips:
- Avoid tight, slip-on shoes that have no give or support when standing or walking a lot.
- Find shoes with soles that won’t wear down too fast.
- Get the proper shoe for a particular sport & get the proper running shoes for your particular foot structure. * A good running shoe store can help, by looking at your feet & watching you walk or run.
- Note: More expensive shoes do not always mean they will fit better, be more comfortable or last longer! * On the other hand, stay away from cheap or off-brand shoes, which can wear down quicker and cause foot problems.
- Look for shoes with a lot of cushion and support.
There is nothing better for your feet than comfortable, proper fitting shoes! Unfortunately, finding these shoes can be a big problem if you have a weak foot structure, swollen feet or foot deformities such as bunions and hammertoes. Fortunately, Dr. Silver and his staff at the Westwood Foot Clinic in Golden Valley, MN can help!
We have a full line of extra wide, double depth and stretchy shoes available through our clinic. We fit prescription and non-prescription foot orthotics for those with neuroma pain, foot fatigue, heel (plantar fasciitis), arch or ankle pain.
We correct painful corns, calluses, deformed or ingrown toenails as well bunions and hammer toes. With our care, you can fit into shoes more comfortably again and be able to stand, walk, run and enjoy your favorite activities without pain! Click here or call (763) 231-2341 now to schedule your appointment at the Westwood Foot Clinic in Golden Valley, MN.
SLIP-ON SNOW CLEATS: AVAILABLE NOW AT THE WESTWOOD FOOT CLINIC IN GOLDEN VALLEY, MN
Winter’s cold, ice and snow will be with us for a while longer and at times can make for more treacherous walking conditions. The icy obstacles can present challenges for anyone. It’s especially worse for those who are older, have mobility problems or are less flexible. And all it takes is one accident-just one slip and fall on the ice to cause serious injury that can impact your life for a long time afterwards.
In fact, accidental falls from “Mother Nature” are the leading cause of injury across all age groups over the age of 25. Falling on ice or snow can cause injuries such as fractures, back problems, strains, sprains, contusions, concussions-all of which can have long-term consequences.
Slipping on snow or ice is not always avoidable…but whether you are just walking down your front or side steps, your driveway or walking a short distance outside, snow cleats can provide the traction you need to prevent a devastating slip and fall! They attach to most shoes or boots while being easy to put on & take off.
(photo credit: Bryan Nordley)
At the Westwood Foot Clinic we have a few varieties of Snow Cleats in different sizes with prices ranging from $7-$20 per pair. It’s a small investment with the potential to prevent serious injury. Act smart and be prepared this winter. Stop by our clinic today to get your pair of snow cleats while supplies last!
Our clinic also has a variety of other cold weather solutions for your feet including special creams for dry, cracked skin as well as special Heat Holder socks and winter boots to keep your feet toasty warm.
Click Here or call us now @ (763) 231-2341 if you have any questions regarding the snow cleats, other cold weather solutions for your feet, or to schedule an appointment for any other foot problem you may have. Dr. Thomas Silver is one of the best podiatrists in the Twin Cities area. Same & next day appointments are often available.
A skin ulcer is an opening in the skin, typically caused by pressure to an area and is common occurrence on the feet of those with decreased circulation or loss of sensation in the feet, especially those with diabetes. Skin ulcers are often slow to heal and have the potential to become infected which can lead to amputation.
Those with diabetes that have loss of sensation in their feet are more prone to falls resulting in fractures but those with ulcers are at even greater risk. A new study found that diabetics with foot ulcers have more than twice the risk of falling with more than three times the risk of fractures from those falls compared to diabetics that do not have a foot ulcer. These falls and fractures can perpetuate a cycle of diabetic foot ulcers and injuries as well as lead to more serious complications such as brain injury, loss of independence, loss of mobility, institutionalization and even death in older patients.
At the Westwood Foot Clinic in Golden Valley, we’re experts in the care of diabetic foot problems. We can help prevent falls by preventing & treating pressure ulcers, infections and painful neuropathy. By providing the following services for those with diabetes:
- Palliative foot care
- Wound care
- Diabetic shoes & inserts
- Gel cushions, pads & toe protectors
- Custom made foot orthotics, dropfoot and collapsing ankle braces
- Neuropathy pain treatment
- Special foot creams and ointments
- Compression stockings
- Minimally invasive correction of foot problems
- Circulation testing
- Evaluation & management of foot problems and infections
- High priority appointment scheduling
(Above: Before and and After Treatment Photos)
If you or someone you care about needs diabetic care then call now @ (763) 231-2341 or click here to schedule an appointment. Same & next day appointments are often available.
Winter can be a cruel time for your feet as the cold weather can cause a myriad of problems to develop:
- Raynaud’s disease or Raynaud’s phenomenon is a common condition in which the cold abnormally constricts blood vessels, causing your toes and/or fingers to become painfully cold or even numb.
- Those with a loss of sensation from neuropathy caused by diabetes or other causes, often can’t feel the cold and their feet are much more susceptible to injury or frostbite.
- Poor circulation or an under active thyroid cause the feet to become painfully cold and sometimes dangerously so.
- Chilblains (also known as Pernio) is a condition in which excessive cold can cause painful, inflamed and itchy red areas with blistering around toes.
Even if you don’t have any of the above problems, it’s not uncommon in winter to have cold feet (especially at night). It’s also quite common for the skin on your feet and legs can become dry, scaly, itchy, inflamed, raw and cracked (fissured) during the cold months. This is not only uncomfortable and at times quite painful, but raw, cracked or fissured skin can easily lead to infections.
At the Westwood Foot Clinic in Golden Valley, MN, we have the solutions to your winter foot problems:
- Special prescription medications for Raynauds that can make your feet (and hands) comfortably warm.
- Doppler ultrasound to evaluate the circulation in your feet to determine if referral to a vascular specialist is necessary.
- Fitting and dispensing of shoes and a full line of warm, lined winter boots, especially for diabetics, poor circulation and difficult to fit feet.
- Infracare socks that can raise the skin temperature of your feet to normal.
- Heatholders socks that are 7x warmer than the average cotton sock-to keep your feet toasty warm.
- Special creams and ointments that can dissolve dry, cracked skin and that hold moisture in, to keep your feet and legs soft and comfortable.
- Special foot brushes for during and after showering- for those who have difficulty bending.
At the Westwood Foot Clinic, we can get your feet through this winter by helping to keep them feeling warm, soft, comfortable and healthy, thus helping to prevent many of the foot problems associated with our cold Minnesota weather.
If you or someone you care about has a foot problem, click here or call 763-231-2341 now for an appointment at the Westwood Foot Clinic. Same or next day appointments are often available.